11+ years ago at our wedding Mr. Eleven and I received a set of mixing bowls from Aunt Scully. At the time she reminded us that marriage was about the every day moments and that she thought these bowls were a good way to represent her commitment to our every days. This week I experienced one of the great every day moments.
Lil' loves to make dinner. She is most helpful in getting things out. She likes to open the refrigerator and find ingredients. She also likes to get the mixing bowls out and practices her knowledge of small, medium, large.
On this night we were making Sloppy Joe sauce. We measure, we dumped, we stirred. We talked about her day at school as we worked. She was telling me about her day when she suddenly stopped both her talking and stirring. She was still for a moment and then said
"Mama, guess what!"
"What, Lil?"
"This is the best silver bowl ever. Way better than the ones at school. They are sad bowls and this one is happy!"
"Why is the bowl happy Lil?"
"Because it's our family bowl."
I imagine these were the moments that Aunt Scully was talking about all those years ago.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think that's exactly what Aunt Scully was thinking about! I'm so glad that Lil and her family have a "happy" bowl.
Keep on mixing!
It was. Exactly. That made me smile and cry all at the same time.
When we cook at Strider's House, we always add "love" to our ingredients. Then we can taste the special kinds of love. Last night for my birthday, I had brownies with Moolah, Ace and Mama love. They were wonderful.
I bet sloppy joes with Lil and Mama love were fantastic.
Post a Comment