Wednesday, June 4, 2008
I Change Myself
This afternoon was round two of Lil' thinking she would be helpful and change her own diaper. Again, this happened during naptime. Again, maybe Mama should have listened to the requests being screamed from the other side of the door sooner. Instead of being a nice neat poop contained to the diaper and hung from the coat rack I was greeted by Lil' covered in poop (hair to toenails) and a very messy diaper tucked into her covers. What was I thinking when I started keeping the wipes on the shelf in the closet after last time???? They would have been useful to Lil' in her attempts to be helpful today. The bath and laundry came immediately instead of waiting for camera documentation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh my gosh...maybe it isn't always an excuse. I feel badly for Lil and also for you, Mama.
This is all part of the growing older, communicating and learning to be independant stage. Mixed in with the learning of the manipulating stage too. Growing up isn't easy.
hugs and kisses to my girls.
I wish I had some magic trick to tell the real emergency from the manipulation. I don't.
I remember reading someplace a strategy that allowed a certain number of "tickets" to get out of bed and if there were any left, there was a reward in the morning. You had to start with more tickets than the usual number of requests so that they actually get the reward an link it.. then they are reduced over time. So, Lil could have 5 tickets (or whatever) at first, and use them for anything. Then, when she got up, you would address her specific issue and only that. Water? Here. Diaper? It's clean. No other conversation or topics without another ticket. Then stickers in the morning for the remaining tickets.
Great idea!
I'm all set with my tickets for tonight :-)
How are the tickets working?
The first night I explained that if she had tickets left in the morning she could get stickers. "Yes, stickers Mama" was her response. She wanted them now. She got 2 of 5 stickers the next morning. It's been hit and miss since and a particularly challenging week made the parental commitment waivering. On a bright note, she peed on the potty 7 times yesterday and wore panties for several hours with no accidents!
Post a Comment