Thursday, January 15, 2009

Relationships

Lil' has been working on her understanding of relationships for a while now. She knows who her grandparents, aunt and uncles and cousins. She knows that she is a child and a kid and that Mama and Mr. Eleven are grown ups and her parents. She was very surprised when we explained that her grandparents were Mama and Mr. Eleven's parents. She was confused when we explained that her aunt and uncles were Mama and Mr. Eleven's sister and brothers. The understanding of relationships expanded this week with the understanding that Mr. Eleven is a father and Mama is a mother. Today this concept was the focus of her thoughts.

"Father, I would like a snack."
"Look at me, Father."
"Help me get my friends in my room, Father"

The conversation continued after "Father" had gone to work.

Lil: Daddy is a father and you are a Mama, mother.
Mama: What are you, Lil?
Lil: (giggling) I'm Lil!
Mama: Are you a father?
Lil: No, Daddy is a father. My father.
Mama: Are you a kid?
Lil: I'm a child.
Mama: Are you a daughter?
Lil: Father's daughter.
Mama: Are you Mama's daughter?
Lil: Noooooo.

So we'll keep working on the idea of relationships.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to see and hear about all the growth. I can just hear her saying "Noooooo".