Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dirt

I love Earth Day. I have since I was young. Back then I wore a t-shirt celebrating Earth day all year long. It was a favorite. There were several years when my favorite part of Earth Day was planting something with Oosje. One year it was three little evergreen seedlings that went in the front yard. Other years it was too cold and snowy for planting anything outside.

This Earth Day was the first time Lil' and I planted anything together. We planted a Mini Greenhouse of herbs that she got from her very best girlfriend for her birthday. It was fun. Lil' scooped dirt and sprinkled seeds and helped Mama do the watering out of the teapot that Grandma Barbie got us a while back. I had such a good time carrying on the planting tradition.

Later on in the day, Mama and Lil' went outside to enjoy the sunshine. Lil' blew bubbles for Belle. It's become one of their favorite sister activities. Lil' blows and Belle chases. They kept each other busy long enough for Mama to get some yard work done, with the goal of setting up the slide that we inherited from Oosje's friend, H, this weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the three little pine seedlings! They grew for quite a few years until one winter was just too much for them. I always enjoyed planting with you too.

I'm interested to know how much Lil will understand of her seeds growing. It's never too early to learn these wonderful mysteries.

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to say that I don't remember Earth Day planting, although I do remember something about sad little pine seedlings. I don't remember where they got planted, though. It's a nice tradition, though, even though it somehow has been lost in my memory. I'll try to remember it next year.

Anonymous said...

The "sad little pine seedlings" were planted between our house and the house next door where H. and I. live along with their parents, S. and B. They were indeed sad even though they lived several years continuing on to be sad little "yearlings". This did not mean that I did not love them...I did. Now, in hindsite I am glad they are not there because they would have caused too much shade in the neighbors yard and then they would not be able to have their herb garden of which I am a very happy receipient.

Anonymous said...

I concur the seedlings were sad and thankfully not there anymore. I think Aunt Scully might have been off to college when they were planted.

Anonymous said...

I remember sad little seedlings much earlier than that... from my own elementary school years.

Anonymous said...

That might be true, but the trio of sadd-lings were planted at Oosje and Bampa's current house and you were at college by the time we moved there.